Adult Care and Prevention
It is very important for your overall dental health to fight plaque. Plaque is actually one of the main causes for dental problems. Proper oral hygiene practices at home, along with routine office visits to Washington Smiles will help defend against plaque.
Our dentists strongly recommend adult care and prevention aimed at fighting plaque. We also preserve as much of the natural tooth structure as possible while performing dental procedures. Our dentists believe in early detection and timely treatment of serious oral problems.
? Why is prevention and care important for adult patients?
If you allow dental problems to go on and on without proper treatment, you’ll probably end up with major dental issues. Major dental issues can cost you a significant amount of time and money in the long run.
To avoid this, come to our office for routine checkup and cleaning appointments (2 times per year). These appointments allow our dentists to keep a close eye on your dental health, and to catch any small problems before they turn into big problems.
Just remember: it costs much more to have teeth repaired and replaced than it does for routine cleanings and exams.
? How can adults practice excellent dental care and prevention?
- Make it your first priority (for your dental health) to keep plaque at a bare minimum in order to prevent tooth decay and gum disease.
- Brush your teeth with a fluoride toothpaste twice a day minimum– definitely before bedtime and after eating throughout the day.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush that can reach in all areas of the mouth. Replace the toothbrush when you see the bristles start to wear.
- Floss your teeth every day. Flossing removes plaque in hard-to-reach areas that a toothbrush cannot reach.
Visit our dentist once every six months for routine checkups and cleanings. If you are more prone to tartar and plaque buildup, you should schedule additional cleaning appointments.
- If you have dental pain or notice any dental problems, call Washington Smiles right away before the problem gets worse. If detected early enough, some serious dental issues can be avoided altogether.
? Afraid of going to the dentist? Avoiding the dentist because of fears?
Whatever your reasons are for avoiding the dentist and not scheduling routine checkups, just know that you are not alone. Unfortunately, millions of people avoid the dentist for several reasons.
The dentists and staff members at Washington Smiles will not criticize or judge you if you haven’t been to the dentist in years. We’re just happy you are here receiving the dental care you need and deserve.
Also, if fear is keeping you away from the dentist office, just know that we offer sedation dentistry at Washington Smiles. Sedation will help to relax and calm you in order to receive the proper dental care you need.
Just call us today to schedule your appointment!